11.11.2009

:INJUSTICE:

As I sit behind my laptop and write I think, why is it me that lives in this location at this time, with this life-style? Growing up in the Orange County bubble, being cultured means you know where to find the best deals for clothing, or the best eats, or even how to have a fun weekend. Whereas being cultured in a third world nation may mean finding what is for dinner, finding clean water, where to take a shower at, or even where to sleep. Many of us continue to live our lives not realizing what is beyond our everyday life. Did you know that about 30,000 kids die from starvation each day? Or that 1 billion people do not have access to clean water? Do you know that 36 million people in the United States live below the poverty line? And nearly 11 people each year are labeled as 'starving.' My mind can't even process that thought; that 1 BILLION people do not have access to clean water. I live in a world where I can walk a few feet and drink from a faucet that I may think is 'dirty.' Why is it that we are the lucky ones, being able to have everything we need to live at our fingertips? We worry about ourselves every second of the day and quickly drive past the hurt in the world. We need to be the change. LOVE is a simple answer to this injustice. We have seen the facts. We must change this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment